On 07/05/2016 01:51 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
In that sense, your "ps aux | grep | grep -v grep" is a more flexible
in that you only need to know part of the process name. I use it a lot
myself--but not to the point of turning it into a script/utility. :)

In my case, it's not that I use it so much, it's just that I decided that a one-line script was the easiest way to go. Also, I've found that having that extra line at the end listing grep is confusing to average users so I added the second invocation of grep. Besides, the output is much more tidy that way.