I have a question to your request:

Do you have in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf following line:

installonly_limit=3

Did you made ``dnf upgrade --fresh`` before system-upgrade attempt?

Do you run the newest kernel on your system?

If some of the answers were no it could be a reason why you have the issue.

If you will upgrade running kernel the replacement should take place during the
reboot, therefore theoretically it should be save.

On other hand any time when you perform the system-upgrade you have to consider
a risk of malfunction of your upgraded system. Therefore back-up or snapshot
could be handy.

Jaroslav

>Hello,
>
>my upgrade attempt from Fedora 23 to Fedora 24 gave the folling error:
>
>.# dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=24
>RPM Fusion for Fedora 24 - Free - Updates       453 kB/s | 185 kB     00:00
>Adobe Systems Incorporated                       10 kB/s | 1.8 kB     00:00
>RPM Fusion for Fedora 24 - Nonfree - Updates    340 kB/s |  95 kB     00:00
>RPM Fusion for Fedora 24 - Free                 506 kB/s | 260 kB     00:00
>RPM Fusion for Fedora 24 - Nonfree              248 kB/s |  62 kB     00:00
>Error: cannot install both kernel-PAE-4.6.4-301.fc24.i686 and
>kernel-PAE-4.6.4-201.fc23.i686
>(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages)
>
>Is it save to use the option '--allowerasing'?
>
>4.6.4-201.fc23.i686+PAE, which would be deleted is the current running kernel.
>When will the delete happen? Hopefully later with the "dnf system-upgrade
>reboot".

Thanks in advance,
Frank Elsner