On Sun, 2016-08-14 at 16:17 -0600, Drew Samson wrote:
> Thanks for the helpful responses. Now to your questions:
>

> On 8/14/2016 3:30 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > Why do you use hardware RAID? There is little or no advantage and some
> > disadvantages in doing that. Software RAID works extremely well on
> > Linux.
>
> Since the capability is built into many motherboards these days it seems
> more straightforward to me to control mirrored redundancy outside of the
> OS. I have no personal experience using redundant software raid even
> though I know Windows 7 supports it so I think it's just a matter of
> using what I know since it's readily available. Then with Fedora I have
> no idea how to go about using or configuring redundant software raid so
> again using the motherboard controller means one less thing I need to
> learn. Fedora software mirroring is certainly on my list of things to
> know before I die but I haven't made it that far down the list yet...
>
> What disadvantages were you referring to with hardware raid?

Mainly that it adds cost and still requires specialized drivers because
it often means proprietary formats which may not be well-maintained.
OTOH it may allow hot-swapping, depending on the model. Software RAID
is generally more flexible and on a modern system doesn't have a high
impact on performance.

Here's a discussion (one among many): http://linux.yyz.us/why-software-raid.html

> > Not being a gamer I don't use SLI but since we're on the
> > subject about compatible hw...does Fedora / linux / open-source have any
> > capable sli graphics cards which work well and easily?
> > No idea what you mean by SLI.
> >

> It's called the Scalable Link Interface capability built into some
> graphics cards where you can slave 2 (or more) graphics cards together
> and combine their gpu processing power for more a responsive graphics
> interface.  It's really nice for those who need it.

OK

poc