On 25 August 2016 at 03:14, Tim <ignored_mail...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
[...]
> At which point, you may as well have not bothered with using NoScript,
> in the first place.  Sure, this half measure has stopped some of the
> nonsense (the other things that would also have loaded), but you're
> still exposed to the risk that many people are trying to mitigate
> (whether that be privacy, hacking, or simply having your computer grind
> to a halt under the burden of many badly programmed scripts).
>
> I tend to go through the annoying route, of temporarily allowing likely
> looking scripts, one by one, until either the page works, or I'm so
> annoyed with it that I abandon it.
>
> If there are sites that I want to regularly use, I consider permanently
> allowing the scripts that were needed to make them work.  But don't
> always do so.  It's slightly less of a risk if they're self-hosted than
> coming from a third party.  But that could be faked, they could be
> proxying a third-party script through their own domain.

I used to use NoScript up until a couple of years ago when loading
pages took extra time *because of* NoScript which is just irritating.
So I ditched NoScript (which over the years became *too much*) and
switched to other methods to block troublesome javascripts, to cut the
story short, nowadays I use uMatrix[1], it's much lighter on resources
and more intuitive to use IMHO. I've seen various reports of others
using uBlock Origin (developed by the same author of uMatrix), but
personally I settled for just using uMatrix.

[1]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/umatrix/