On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:46:50 -0400
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> half of them are "---p" mappings, which I do not
> understand, a private mapping without read and write privileges?

I think that corresponds to an intentional "hole" in
the address space where attempted access results in
a segfault and no one can map anything new there.

I'm not exactly sure about any of that though. If I
look at some maps files, there always seems to be
one of these ---p regions somewhere in the middle
of each shared library.

You could always guess security geeks are responsible.
They seem to be behind all the inexplicable address
layout stuff :-).