Allegedly, on or about 23 September 2016, Joe Zeff sent:
> if this were a common issue, there'd be a Bugzilla about it

There is, going back several years.

> and probably a fast patch.

Scoff!  Only if they admit that they're doing it the wrong way.

I gave up on Gnome when they made a desktop look like a tablet computer
display, and they ploughed on with that stupid design philosophy despite
all the complaints.  I went over to using the Mate fork, instead, and
it's far better (for me).  However, the login screen still uses Gnome
shell, and that makes the computer grind to a halt, all by itself,
particularly when its screensaver kicks in (just a static graphic of a
pretty picture).  On computers that are left running all the time, I
periodically have to cold boot them (or go through a lot more malarkey),
to make them stop behaving like a 486 with 2 megs of RAM.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages