On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Gordon Messmer <gordon.mess...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/12/2016 08:53 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>
>> It was, some years ago. This is no longer the case.
>>

> I suggest that users evaluate their options under their own workload.
> When I ran tests last year on CentOS 7 for rsnapshot storing maildirs (the
> exact workload in question here), ext4 was significantly faster on the
> hardware I was using.

There are some other considerations.  XFS has a good track record for large
numerical calculations, video production, and remote sensing.  These
are applications where the data are lost due to downtime recovering from a
crash are much larger than the data that was "in flight" when the crash
occurred.  XFS puts priority on metadata consistency, so filesystems are up
and running very quickly after a crash.

There are applications where losing a few bytes of data should "never"
happen, even it results in substantial downtime.

George N. White III <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia