On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 14:46 +0000, jharb...@comcast.net wrote:
> Yes,after logging in as root, using a terminal, I can login to my home
> directory.

Being unable to login as yourself to the graphical user interface (GUI),
but able to login to the command line interface, and root being able to
log in to the GUI sounds exactly like an old problem I've come across:

The permissions for the /tmp directory may be wrong.  If they are, the
GUI can't create the files it wants to, in there, as it tries to start
up.

If I type this command:
  ls -ld /tmp
I get this result, for a normal /tmp directory:
  drwxrwxrwt. 19 root root 12288 Nov 24 07:09 /tmp/

Note that all users (owner, group, and others) have read, write, and
execute permissions, and that the other user has the sticky bit set (the
final "t" in the permissions flags.  And it's owned by root:root, the
rest of the details are unimportant.

This can happen if you bodge things up while working on the /tmp
directory, itself, or fail to mount /tmp onto a tmp directory in the
root (and the directory has different permissions), etc.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Windows, it's enough to make a grown man cry!