Patrick O'Callaghan writes:

On Fri, 2016-11-25 at 11:08 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Wondering if all upgrades with selinux enabled are broken, or just something
> with this particular laptop. This doesn't look like a system-specific
> failure to me, but if all upgrades with enforcing selinux blow up like this,
> I would've expected a lot of noise in here, by now… More details in bug
> 1398696.

My system has been enforcing for at least the last 5 versions (possibly
more), and I had no problem with this.

What output do you get from:

ls -alZd /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade

On the one with the problem I get:

drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root unconfined_u:object_r:user_tmp_t:s0 233472 Nov 25 10:31 /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade

Now, another one of my laptops shows:

drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root unconfined_u:object_r:rpm_var_lib_t:s0 221184 Nov 23 16:09 system-upgrade

However that laptop was already running in permissive mode. Still, according to rpm:

file /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade is not owned by any package

After rmdir-ing and mkdir-ing /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade its selinux context is changed to unconfined_u:object_r:rpm_var_lib_t:s0, so I think that's where the problem was. Unclear how the former selinux context was what it was.