On 05/12/16 08:38, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 12/05/2016 09:12 AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 12/04/2016 11:54 PM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
On 05/12/16 06:43, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 12/04/2016 07:42 AM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
In F25 the SDDM no longer shows a list of users when NIS (ypbind) is
enabled and also it does not default to the last user logged in. kdm
appears to be the same (with UserList=true in /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc).

Are you expecting all the users to be listed or just the ones that have
used that computer before?
I would have assumed all users (uid 1000 up).
Displaying all users might be applicable in very small networks with
very small numbers of users, but would not be behavior helpful in larger
networks with larger numbers (100s/1000s) of users/accounts.
I agree on larger or more security sensitive networks this is likely to be the desired behaviour. On a small home network it would be nice to have options to at least fill in the username of the last user and/or list the users as well as provide a username box.

It might show all local users, but at least with LDAP, it only shows
users that have actually logged in at some point.  The AccountService is
involved in that.  I don't know if it's possible for the login manager
to find all the users from an LDAP source, but if it could, that would
most likely be too large a list to be displaying like that anyway.  I
don't know if NIS works differently, but I expect it would have the same
issues.
I don't know much about LDAP, but in NIS-enabled networks, all non-local
users/accounts usually are available at once.
F23's (and before) SDDM presented a list/pictures of all users in the NIS list with no obvious way of turning this off which wasn't good either.

Ralf