On 06.03.2017 21:44, Stephen Morris wrote:

> It has subsequently turned out that wlp4s6 was an old pci wifi card that
> I still had in my machine that I thought was dead. I was not aware of
> the naming conventions for the device identifiers, so I was not aware
> that wlp4s6 was not my USB wifi adapter. So I have been trying all this
> time to get the 5GHz channel working on wlp4s6 because of this
> misunderstanding when in reality that device doesn't have a 5 GHz channel.
> The whole reason for my USB wifi adapter not being used was because I
> needed to download and compile a driver to be able to use the device as
> there is no inbuilt support for it.
> I would like to thank everybody who provided support for this issue and
> apologize for wasting everyone's time (I had a DWA182 which had to have
> a driver compiled to be usable so I should have expected the DWA192 to
> be in the same situation).
>
> As a side issue to this, actually getting the USB device working has
> highlighted a bug in Fedora that doesn't exist in Ubuntu (Ubuntu has a
> different bug that Fedora doesn't have).
>
> Also Fedora and Ubuntu both use the same naming convention for the pci
> wifi adapter but they use a different naming convention for the same USB
> wifi adapter plugged into the same USB port. Why is this the case, why
> isn't there a Linux wide naming standard?

$ man 8 udevadm
OPTIONS
   udevadm info [options] [devpath|file]
       Queries the udev database for device information stored in the udev
database. It can also query the properties of a device from its
       sysfs representation to help creating udev rules that match this device.

Thus, one can do the following,
e.g. for D-Link DWA-192 - if the ifname is "wlp3s0u2":

# udevadm info -a -p /sys/class/net/wlp3s0u2

In accordance with the properties listed, udev rule can be made,
a rule to rename the ifname:

e.g.
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-wifi-names.rules:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2001", ATTRS{idProduct}=="331a", NAME="dwa192"
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2001", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3315", NAME="dwa182"

Re-plug USB device, observe dmesg output.