On Tue, 2017-03-28 at 09:13 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 03/27/2017 12:31 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I have a QEMU image snapshot:
> >
> > $ sudo qemu-img info /var/lib/libvirt/images/Windows10.qcow2
> > image: /var/lib/libvirt/images/Windows10.qcow2
> > file format: qcow2
> > virtual size: 20G (21474836480 bytes)
> > disk size: 196K
> > cluster_size: 65536
> > backing file: /home/poc/Win10/win10.qcow2
> > backing file format: qcow2
> > Format specific information:
> >     compat: 1.1
> >     lazy refcounts: true
> >     refcount bits: 16
> >     corrupt: false
> >
> > However when I try to restore the virtual disk I get:
> >
> > $ sudo qemu-img snapshot -a /var/lib/libvirt/images/Windows10.qcow2
> > /home/poc/Win10/win10.qcow2
> > qemu-img: Could not apply snapshot
> > '/var/lib/libvirt/images/Windows10.qcow2': -2 (No such file or directory)
> >
> > I must be doing something obviously wrong, but can't see what it is.
> > Hints would be appreciated.
>
> What you have is not a snapshot.  A snapshot is created with "qemu-img
> snapshot -c <snapshot-name> <imagename>", and that is _not_ a separate file.
> That "<snapshot-name>" is not a file name but just a tag to identify one of
> possibly several snapshots within that "<imagename>" file.

I did create it with the above line. Clearly I didn't understand where
it was, or perhaps I inadvertently deleted it.

Currently 'qemu-img snapshot -l <filename>' gives no output, so it
looks like it's gone assuming it was ever there.

(BTW the "no such file or directory" message could not be less
helpful).

> What you made was a copy-on-write image using /home/poc/Win10/win10.qcow2 as
> a backing file.  You can make changes in
> /var/lib/libvirt/images/Windows10.qcow2 and not affect the backing file, but
> the backing file _must_not_be_changed_ during the lifetime of that dependent
> image.  That c-o-w image cannot be restored to its original state.  The way
> you do that is to throw it away and create a new one with the same backing
> file.

I'm going to try to attach it to another Windows instance to see if it
can be repaired. Otherwise, it looks like I'm screwed.

Thanks for the information.

poc