On 02.06.2017 15:27, InvalidPath wrote:

On Jun 2, 2017 6:06 AM, "Walter H." <walte...@mathemainzel.info <mailto:walte...@mathemainzel.info>> wrote:

    On 31.05.2017 12 <tel:31.05.2017%2012>:03, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

        On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 10:01 +0200, Walter H. wrote:

            Hello,

            I'm using Windows with several virtual machines (VMware);

            is there a way to use these virtual machines with Fedora
            as host OS?

        Yes. There is a free-to-use version of VMware Workstation for
        Fedora.
        Check the VMware web page. You can also convert your VMware
        VMs to run
        under KVM/QEMU ('man qemu-img'). Another alternative is
        VirtualBox.

        poc

    Hello,

    does this mean,
    I can have VMware Workstation for Fedora without having to pay for it?

    I guess the conversion of these VMware VMs won't work, as they are
    Windows VMs ...

    Greetings,
    Walter

Walter, I currently use Fedora as my main OS but I do need a little Windows from time to time. KVM/QEMU run Win10 almost better than dedicated hardware did!

Virtualbox also runs on Linux and does a bang up job at hosting Windows, is there something holding you to VMware or is it a comfortability thing?

I have two VMs which use a device I plug onto a real USB port of the host ...
(one is a scanner, and one is sometimes my cellphone - address book)

some VMs are older Windows (WinNT, Win2K) and most are WinXP(x64)

I'm not sure of a VM solution other than VMware which supports this ...

Greetings,
Walter