Tim:
>> I run a local DNS server, that's integrated with my DHCP server (in that
>> new hosts assigned an IP by the DHCP server get their data incorporated
>> into the DNS server, so all clients on my LAN use my DNS server for
>> *all* name resolution, local and WWW).  I don't make use of the hosts
>> file.

Walter H.:
> The same here at my home, and which Domain do you use for local?

I have a real domain name, which resolves to my externally hosted mail
and website.  Internally, I have a LAN sub-domain, of it, that my DNS
and DHCP servers work with.

e.g. www.example.com vs lan.example.com

So, internally, you get local FQDNs like laserprinter.lan.example.com.
Externally, you get the usual website domain names www.example.com, or
just example.com.  And mail is simple usern...@example.com.

My DNS server will directly answer LAN queries, for the lan subdomain,
but refer the main domain name to the internet like any other query.

That kept things running pain-free, until mDNS reared it's ugly head on
me when I tried to add a Canon Pixma printer to my LAN.  The printer
only wanted to use the zeroconf/bonjour scheme, ignoring my DNS and
DHCP.  It took me a while to figure out that it doesn't query normal DNS
servers on port 53, at all.  I can understand manufacturers adding
zeroconf/bonjour functions to equipment, but I can't comprehend them
taking away normal networking.

Many years ago, while playing with servers on my LAN, before setting up
DNS and DHCP servers, I discovered an annoying issue with just using
hostnames (in the hosts file), various servers insisted on having domain
names with at least one dot in them.  At that stage, I took my lead from
the hosts file, did a bit of ferreting around to see what purpose it
had, and I went with using .localdomain as my TLD.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Hooray! I finally finished typing this email.