On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 14:17 -0700, stan wrote:
> [snip]
>

> It's just you.  I notice slowdowns at popular times for social media,
> which I suspect are my ISP, or those popular sites, throttling
> traffic.  But in general it is behaving how it has always behaved.  I
> recently tried some other browsers because of a problem with the way
> site was behaving (a bug in their site), and I didn't notice any
> difference in speed.
>
> You could see if one of your add-ons is the cause by starting it from
> the command line
> /usr/bin/firefox -safe-mode
> If it is fast then, restore the add-ons one by one until you find the
> culprit.

Oddly, when I upgraded to F26, I had a noticeable increase in
responsiveness of Firefox.  I don't know if F26 is generally a bit more
snappy than F25 was, or if it's because I deleted all my caches.  On my
last backup, there seemed to be a zillion cached thumbnails and files
that Firefox was keeping, in spite of me severely limiting the amount
of space it was supposed to be using for that kind of stuff.

I've noticed a couple of times that getting rid of the ./.mozilla and
./.cache/mozilla directories (and assorted addon detritus) and starting
over has sped things up, at least for awhile.  Of course, it meant re-
installing my addons, which is a bit of a chore, but I could tell the
difference.

I keep wondering if Firefox and the addons aren't dropping cow pies all
over my hidden directories until it's piled so high it can't move.

billo