On 07/24/2017 04:25 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Emmett Culley wrote:
>
>> Who decided that I should not be able to use a GUI editor on the servers
>> that I manage?
>>
>> For the first time since Fedora first became available I am truly sorry I
>> updated to the current release.  Even the switch to KDE4 was not such a
>> problem.  At least a few developers didn't decide for me how to manage my
>> systems.
>>
>> I haven't heard anything about this, why is it such a secret?  How can I
>> fix this as I am effectively crippled.  I use nano for most work on remote
>> servers, But fro all of the server that have a GUI installed we use (used)
>> kwrite.
>
> Open file as (unprivileged) user, and it will now prompt for privilege
> escalation as needed (via policykit) when saving
>
> -- Rex
Thanks Rex.

I see that I can open konqueror as the user I am logged in as, but get prompted
to save any changes I make to a root owned file.  That'll work for me.

But still, I don't appreciate some developer(s) deciding I need protection from
myself.  Sure, make it a "difficult" configuration option for the noobies, but
don't make it impossible to me to be productive.

Emmett