On 6 October 2017 at 17:23, Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 10/06/2017 12:54 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>

>> He sent me the log directly and I've included the relevant lines below.
>> It definitely looks like a hardware problem.  It keeps disconnecting,
>> maybe some connection inside is loose.
>>

> I wouldn't be surprised.  I can remember, back in the '80s, when many
> people assumed that all computers were hardware, and were surprised to find
> that they were caused by a software issue.  Now, the hardware is considered
> to be so reliable that the situation is reversed, and people will spend
> weeks trying to debug a software issue that's really caused by a piece of
> wonky hardware.

Actually, today's hardware problems are often caused by buggy firmware --
software has taken control of the developed world.

Cables and connections were always a problem area for hardware; now we need
to think about whether problems are due to RF "interference", which could
be a too strong RF signal from some other device, or poorly designed
hardware that is not rejecting spurious signals.   USB3 interference with
2.4 GHz devices
<https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html>
is going to be more common as el cheapo USB3 devices and cables become more
common.

If you suspect interference, turn off all but essential devices and see if
the errors go away.  If so, add devices back one at a time
until the errors resume.  If you have things like external drives, it may
help to run a grund wire to bond the cases together with the system case.

--
George N. White III <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia