On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 06:16:58PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> Since updating to Fedora 26, I get a strange screen tearing effect on
> any moving image (scrolling webpages, watching live video, anything
> that moves).  The effect is unnoticeable on static displayes.  The
> effect is like this diagram:
>
> http://imgbox.com/TqED2C76
>
> There's a portion at the top of the screen related to one moment in
> time, with a dividing line going across the screen, related to another
> moment.  The really strange thing is that there's a diagonal portion to
> this division.
>
> The division slowly rolls down the screen, so it can be seen that the
> screen refresh rate is different from the source material (whatever it
> may be).
>
> According to driconf, which offers options I know nothing about, and
> offers nothing I see related to setting any vertical sync options, the
> graphics set is using: NV98 (nouveau)
>
> The display configurator (I'm using Mate) gives me 60 or 75 Hz refresh
> rates, and they will change the rate that the dividing line rolls down
> the screen, but not eliminate it.
>
> I'm using a LCD screen connected through a DVI cable (both ends, no
> conversions).  Mate's display configurator says its DVI-I
>
> How can I get rid of this?

Your problem seems similar to what I experienced early on with F26.
I normally run Mate and Compiz.  In my case the culprit seemed to
be Compiz.  If I selected a different window manager the problem
did not exist.

A Compiz update or 2 later eliminated the problem for me.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com