On 01/30/18 14:10, Terry Barnaby wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and trying. With your example its a bit different as you
> are
> creating the tar and compressing. The compression will take quite a lot of
> CPU and
> this is probably the bottleneck in your case.

No, it isn't

I used "tar -zcf lin.tar f27k/linux-4.14.15/"  because you used "tar -xf
linux-4.14.15.tar.gz".  So, your procedure was un-compressing the archive.  So,
I was
thinking it would generate a similar workload.

Running tar -cf lin.tar f27k/linux-4.14.15/ produces similar results

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ time tar -cf lin.tar f27k/linux-4.14.15/

real    1m56.593s
user    0m0.762s
sys     0m8.914s

The above is reading from the server and writing on the client disk and doing no
compression

The below is reading the non-compressed tar on the client and writing to the
server.

[egreshko@meimei f27k]$ time tar -xf ~/Downloads/linux-4.14.15.tar

real    1m52.371s
user    0m0.806s
sys     0m10.801s

So, either direction the times are pretty much the same.

> If I un-tar directly on the servers disks in question (SATA hard drives
> software
> RAID-1) the untar takes 13 seconds rather than the NFS 3 minutes ...

Of course running it on the same system will be *much* faster.

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out