On 02/03/2018 05:57 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
The unit tasks are logged, so you can see them with
journalctl or in syslog.  (Not that it's at all ideal to
have to look around to find what may have caused this
less-than-useful output.)

How is it not useful? I'm happy to be aware of that part of the transaction. It would certainly be more useful if there was some indication of what specifically it was for.

The man-db-cache-update service checks /etc/sysconfig/man-db
and if the variable SERVICE is not 'no' it runs.  So it
should be possible to disable this proactive updating of the
man-db if desired.

This mandb run has always been done. The change now to running it as a service is because when it was being run as part of the main process, it was taking a very long time sometimes and holding up the rest of the transaction. Now, it's running separately and is not waited for.

I submitted a patch to quiet this output:

     https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/man-db/pull-request/5

If that's accepted then we'll eventually stop seeing this
anytime an rpm installs or removes man pages.

Personally, I hope it's not accepted and I expect there are other parts that are using or will use this method.