On 02/08/18 04:59, Tim wrote:
> Some cameras merely use a central server as a way of finding your
> camera by a name (ala dynamic DNS, mine initially lets you find it by
> serial number, if I recall correctly) and for traversing NAT.

Come to think of it, you are probably totally right on this when it comes to
live
viewing.  I happen to have a "slingbox" in AZ at a friend's place.  It
periodically
sends its "location" to a central server and the app on either the browse,
android,
or ios device uses that to directly contact the slingbox.  (I've not used the
slingbox in a while so forgot about how it works).

Unless it is possible to inject malware into the device I can't see it mounting
an
attack on other devices on the LAN.

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out