On 02/14/18 15:52, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/15/18 04:24, Kevin Cummings wrote:
>>>
>>> You know, if you use akmod-nvidia from rpmfusion you don't have to worry
>>> about a
>>> binary being available in the repo as the binary will be built locally on
>>> your own
>>> system when a new kernel is installed.
>> Right up until a kernel interface changes and you have to wait for a new
>> nvidia driver to use the new kernel....
>>
> Been using rpmfusion for many years now.

Me too.  But I use the kmods that RPMFusion puts out.  They do not very
often lag behind the new kernels, and most of the time they get updated
at the same time.  Furthermore, they don't "break" when a new version of
the driver gets released, because the new kmods get released at the same
time as the new drivers.  It is usually nVidia who lag behind the latest
kernels.  And the RPMFusion people then have to wait for nVidia to fix
it before they can.

> That has *never* happened to me.

It has to me.

> So, if you're talking about a rare occurrence to say why you shouldn't use
> "something" then one best stop using Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, any flavor of
> Linux, all
> brands of mobile phones, etc.  They all have had hiccups causing minor
> inconvenience
> to a segment of their users.

Indeed.  I just find that use of the kmods is better for me.  YMMV

Kevin J. Cummings
cummi...@kjchome.homeip.net
cummi...@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
kjch...@icloud.com