> Everyone:
>
> Firefox crippled most of its extensions beginning with Version 57. (Why
> they borrowed technology from Google, I'll never know.) The developers
> of the Video Download Helper responded by creating a Companion Application.
>
> I have tried installing that application dozens of times. But /Firefox
> refuses to recognize it/. And without that recognition, VDH will not
> download most videos from YouTube. (Was that the idea?)
>
> Has anyone gotten that companion app to work? If so, how may I do it?

Works for me... I downloaded the tar.gz file and followed the instructions:

tar -xf net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.3-1_amd64.tar.gz -C ~
~/net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.3/bin/net.downloadhelper.coapp-linux-64
install --user

If you want to download videos from youtube, youtube-dl may be more convenient.

Andras