On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 08:29 -0400, fred roller wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 00:09 +0000, Néstor wrote:
> > > You can actually use Google voice in another country as long as you have
> > > access to the internet.
> > >
> > > Sometimes if I am I another and I need to call someone in that country I
> > > will go to a place that has WiFi and make the call like if i was in the US
> > > and i call that country's phone number.
> > >

> > [Please don't top-post]
> >
> > When I said "only available to users in the US" I meant "only available
> > to US users", i.e. users with an address and phone number in the US.
> > Where you are physically when you make the call is irrelevant.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Apologies for the top posts, gmail insist on top posting reponses and I
> forget to adjust.

[Maybe also adjust to use plaintext ...]

> FWIW you can give https://www.asterisk.org/ a try and DIY a phone server.
> The VOIP would give you the mobile option because I used it an age ago
> (headset and my laptop were my "phone" with any internet connection).  Any
> calls to numbers would bill from server to client for purpose of long
> distance; i.e. you home base in England (server) go to France and call a
> client in Japan.  Your calls to England home office, gratis.  France to Japan
> would be billed from England -> Japan.  There are ways to mitigate expense if
> not reduce to zero altogether if memory serves.  It has been ages since I
> used this last but the project is still going strong and OS.  File transfers
> can be handled through any number of online fileshare option, rather
> previlent these days.

Yes, I'm aware of Asterisk and considered it back when I was interested
in Google Voice. That's no longer the case and I virtually never make
actual phone calls rather than calling over WhatsApp or similar, plus
Skype is already good enough for the few I do make - mainly to my US
bank. If only these apps supported receiving SMS messages ...

poc