I have had a chance to do some more testing and thinking on these issues....

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Go Canes <letsgonhlcan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
> completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
> screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
> display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  [...]
The more I think about this, the more I think that this has to be an
issue with the video hardware itself.  Otherwise, why would a
power-cycle clear it, while a reboot doesn't?  Unless the video driver
is wedging the hardware state?

> [...] The login screen is
> fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower resolution
> (800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go into "System
> Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you can't really
> read the display very well!
Sometimes it is the simple things.  I found that if I power-cycle the
*TV/monitor*, the display is back to normal.