Hi,

I'm reading documentation [1] for Fedora on a USB stick. The only option to have a portable fedora on a stick seems to be by creating an overlay FS and this certainly leads to getting out of disk space at some point.

I would really like to create Fedora on USB that I can plug anywhere and work off it.

I was thinking that perhaps I can just install regular fedora on a USB stick like I would do on a hard drive. Then it can be updated and used just like any other Fedora machine. Perhaps disable persistent logging and swap so that flash memory doesn't wear out.

One issue I presently know about is dracut. It creates by default images that only support a specific hardware. i.e. if I install kernel on a machine with an nforce disk controller, it will put in intird only that module thus Fedora will not boot on a machine with AHCI controller.

Maybe this wouldn't matter when all things are on the USB drive but then can there be a problem with different USB controller modules?

I was wondering if anybody tried that and has tips for greated portability.

Thank  you,
Aleksandar

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/quick-docs/en-US/creating-and-using-a-live-installation-image.html