On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 01:36:43PM -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 05/03/2018 01:07 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> >On 05/03/2018 12:46 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> >>Ok, so using the F27 installed kernel works on F28.
> >
> >What else would you expect?  The kernel doesn't care what version
> >of Fedora you're running.  If it did, the upgrade would have
> >removed the F27 kernels.
>
> That was just a lead in to the issue being with dracut.  I
> reconsidered how to write that part a few times and I think in the
> end I lost part of what I was thinking and wanted to say. :-)

I'm pretty sure it is dracut.  Installing the normal kernel from
Fedora 27 and it won't boot either.  I saw dracut complaining about
not finding busybox and biosdevname so I installed them and
reinstalled the kernel - same results.  I also get a couple of grep
errors referring to /usr/lib/plymouth/plymouth-populate-initrd but
I think they're harmless and dnf whatprovides can't find that file.

I'm going to try booting a live cd (xfce f28 i386) and if that works
I'll just reinstall.  Otherwise I'll leave it like it is until I can
get the machine cleaned out and shutdown for good.

If I can figure out what is different in the initrd, I'll reply with
the info.

Thanks for everything,

Jim