On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 02:43:09PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 02:11 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > On 05/16/2018 02:05 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >> This is correct, but
> >> if I do:
> >>       print "#" > "tmptmp.txt" ;
> >> after
> >> print $1 $2 > "tmptmp.txt" ;
> >>
> >> then I get ^M
> >> in my file
> >> I do not have the ^M  if I only make print $1 $2 > "tmptmp.txt" ;
> >> and never make a print "#"
> >>
> >> Can I avoid these ^M
> >> ?
> >
> > This really isn't the right place for this kind of question, but at
> > least provide a full example of what you're trying to do.  You aren't
> > providing enough info to get a useful response.
>
> I agree with Sam that you aren't providing enough info. I think
> you're saying you're essentially doing (in gawk):
>
>       print $1 $2 > "tmptmp.txt";
>       print "#" > "tmptmp.txt";

True in shell, not in awk.  If the file names match,
only the first encountered '>' overwrites the file.
The ">>" is needed to avoid overwriting a file that
exists at the start of the program (like a logfile).

> And ending up with a "^M" in your file. First off, the second line
> would overwrite anything you did in the first line (you need to use a
> ">>" to APPEND data to an existing file...just like in the shell), and
> the "^M" probably indicates a carriage return in the file. If you
> changed the ORS (output record separator) to a carriage return from it's
> default value of newline, that's what you'd get.

I just noted the output file name with a ".txt" extension.
Might gawk assume this is a "windows text file" and add
a \r instead of \n?

Try a different output file name.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com