On 05/30/2018 03:43 PM, Alex wrote:
$ xdg-mime query filetype my-torrent-file.torrent
application/x-bittorrent

So that's good as well.

Ah, right. So should the proper entry be 'torrent' or 'bittorrent'?

x-scheme-handler/magnet=deluge.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/torrent=deluge.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/bittorrent=deluge.desktop;

Neither. That would be for if you have torrent:// links. The proper entry would be:
application/x-bittorrent=deluge.desktop;

But that shouldn't be necessary since it's already associated.

Can I just restart deluge or do I have to restart gnome?

Neither. Deluge doesn't care and Gnome should auto-detect the change. However, it seems the problem is with Chrome. I know with Firefox you can set whether to just save or else open an application with a downloaded file, but I don't know where that would be set with Chrome.