On Tue, 22 May 2018 17:35:04 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
        [....]
> Never mind. I have actually brought it up before now (can't be bothered
> to track down the post though it's probably on the KDE list) but no-one
> else reacted so it doesn't appear to be common.

        Fwiw, the pan item in the latest dnf upgrade worked the trick :
PC #1 and PC #3 (but, oddly, not PC #2) now boot to their accustomed GUI,
and from there launch Pan. All this *without* (at least yet) replacing
LightDM.

        I guess that makes me mathematically 2/3 of a happy camper; but
in practice it's a lot more, inasmuch I now I have not only Pan back, but
also a working backup for PC #1.

        Many, many thanks! Blessed be the developers!
--
/home/btth/sig/nqc