Why wouldn't you regular review your task manager, system settings etc. to
confirm your machine has been not comprised ? (Here, few things which you can
do to confirm there isn't a breach in your system).
1. Failed logins: /var/log/messages
2. last, w, uptime
3. /etc/passwd changed?
4. fuser for ports
5. portscans in server report
6. weird processing hogging CPU?

Switching between different distro in six month is really a big pain. Isnt't it
?