On 11/15/2018 03:00 PM, Doug wrote:

On 11/15/2018 11:05 AM, Tim via users wrote:
Allegedly, on or about 12 November 2018, Jiri Vanek sent:
Yes. I tried four cables. Each of them on both TVs. Each behaved same
for me. *however* factr that I had tried several different cables,
does not mean I used different type of cable.  they are very
likely  from same shop in my neighbourhood, likely same vendor and
price level, just bought in different times.
When it comes to cabling, with HDMI, one cable or another is not going
to affect sound (or no sound) going to the monitor.  They're all
supposed to carry sound and picture (the thing is aimed at consumers
plugging DVD players, and the like, into their television set, with one
cable carrying everything).

Generally speaking HDMI cables work, or they don't work.  Really crappy
ones that are too long for their own good will either give no sound and
picture, at all, or they'll continuously stutter between working and
not working.

There's a bunch of data lines in standard cables that carry sound and
picture, control, identification, etc.  There are some optional extras,
such as ethernet, and an audio return channel (ARC), but which won't be
a part of your issue.

ARC is to do with home theatre, such as a DVD player connected through
an audio amplifier to a television, with just one HDMI lead between
player and amplifier, and one HDMI lead between amplifier and TV.  So
far, playing a DVD on your TV and listening to it on your stereo is a
straight forward obviously easy thing to support, all the signals are
going in one direction (outward from the DVD player).  ARC allows your
TV to send sound back to the amplifier, so you can watch broadcast
television, and hear it through your stereo, without having to patch in
yet another cable.  That's why there's only one ARC socket on your TV,
you're only expected to connect one amplifier to the TV.  If you have a
multitude of players (DVD, video games, streaming boxes, etc), you
either connect each direct to multiple TV inputs, or to multiple inputs
on your amplifier in the middle.

I realize that this is off-topic, but it sounds like you are an expert on modern TV equipment, so I have this question:

I have a Samsung ***** HDTV (1920 x 1080) purchased around last May. It has no electrical audio output, and of

course, the built-in speaker sound is terrible. The only audio output is via IR. I have purchased three DAC units

to feed a small audio amplifier and a couple of bookshelf-type speakers. On voice peaks, sometimes there is

a brief dropout of the audio. This happens with any of the DACs.I do not believe that this is caused by the amplifier,

since I used the same amp on a previous TV that had a real electrical audio output. The question: The DACs were not

really expensive units, I don't remember what I paid for them, but probably around $20. Is this the problem, or is the

problem inherent in the TV? (BTW, this is the second of this particular model--the first one I had had serious sound

problems and the store, PCRichard & Sons, finally exchanged it.) If you think I need a more expensive DAC, what

sort of specs do I need and where do I get such a device? I do not want one of those lay-on-the-floor all-in-one

speaker systems, whatever they are called--I have a perfectly good audio system as it stands. and the

floor units would block access to the cable box by the remote.

Thanx for your input--

Doug