On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 15:28:13 -0500
Fred Smith <fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> there seems to be a widespread desire to make UIs so minimal that
> no one can figure out how to use them. Not to single out anyone, but
> the Gnome-3 people seem to be on that bandwagon too. No offense meant
> to any particular person(s), its just that I don't see the value in
> oversimplification.

I think it is because of mobiles.  The developers try to fit things on
the small real estate, and so make things deeper.  It's the problem
with having the same interface for desktops, laptops, and mobiles.
They are trying to build a single interface that can be used on all
platforms versus having an interface optimized for each platform, for
people who switch between platforms often. I presume they think the
learning curve for multiple platform interfaces is more costly than the
diminished user interface on larger screens.