On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 18:32 +0530, Sudheer Satyanarayana wrote:
On 19/02/19 6:27 PM, George N. White III wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 02:50, Sudheer Satyanarayana <
sudh...@techchorus.net <mailto:sudh...@techchorus.net>> wrote:

     Hello,

     I have installed Fedora 29 on Lenovo W540. The laptop overheats up
     soon
     after booting.

You should make sure there isn't an accumulation of dust preventing
proper cooling.  At
my work there were a bunch of Lenovo's that would overheat and crash.
  A good blast of
canned air in the vents would release a cloud of dust and restore
proper operation.   This
had to be done every few months (typical cubicle farm environment).

Initially, I suspected hardware issues like the one you mention. In
fact, I sent the device to Lenovo service center for the same issue. The
Lenovo folks inspected the hardware and found no issues with fan,
cooling, etc. Also, the same device doesn't have the overheating issue
on Windows and Ubuntu. It is something specific to Fedora.
Something in the graphics driver?
Probably.
What GPU does it have?
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106GLM [Quadro K2100M] (rev a1) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

Is the same
driver being used on Fedora and Ubuntu? (I'm reaching here).
Sorry, I do not have the information about what driver was used on Ubuntu. The test was done by a colleague few days ago and they did use the drivers that were available on stock installation of Ubuntu 18.10.
Is the
machine overheating even when idle?
Yes.
Does it overheat if you boot to a
text console rather than the DE?
I have not tested this. But I will soon and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the idea.
Is the DE using X or Wayland?

Wayland.

-

Sudheer S