On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:06:01 -0500
"Eddie O'Connor" <eoconno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok I have gone nuts trying to figure this out, and I'm just about
> ready to just re-install the OS. (Fedora 29) I have been using Fedora
> since like....version 12, and have experienced all kinds of issues
> but this one baffles me. So:
>
> I had updated from fc26 to fc27 successfully, but I have noticed that
> since upgrading from 27 to 28 that the kernel versions while they
> have gone up (e.g. from 3.12.203 >> 3.12.207 and these numbers I use
> are for example only!) I notice that the "fc" number has remained the
> same (in other words the "fc27" bit of the kernel name!) I have tried
> everything I have found online from trying to upgrade the kernel
> through the Terminal to trying to download, install, and compile a
> newer kernel version and no matter what I've tried that part remains
> the same. So my last attempt/effort will be a transfer of all my data
> and a complete re-install of F29. But it would be nice to know what
> might have caused this...in case it happens again!

Can you show a listing of /boot?
ls -n /boot/vmlinuz*
so things are one line per kernel.

How about your dnf.conf file?
cat /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

Do you have the versionlock plugin installed?  Have you locked the
kernel version using the versionlock plugin?

Have you protected the kernel using the /etc/dnf/protected.d/dnf.conf
file?

Have you tried increasing the number of kernels allowed in dnf.conf?
man dnf.conf