On 5/11/19 6:42 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
No, my question is different. I did not use to have a root password, not a
empty password (if I can explain myself) before I went in and added it. I was
wondering how one gets back to this state.

 From the manual, is this the same thing as the -l option? Is this what it
really was, earlier (and when a root password is not set during Fedora
installation).

Yes. If you look at the other accounts in /etc/shadow that can't login, you'll see the password field contains only "!!". If you really want to go back to the initial state, you could change the root entry to have that as well, but it doesn't make any difference from just using the "-l" option.