On 5/15/19 8:59 AM, Tim Evans wrote:
Yes, several times.  I have also successively: (1) restored the contents of /var/lib/AccountsService/users from my last F29 backup; (2) moved the newly created userid's file completely out of that directory; and (3) moved my normal userid's /etc/passwd entry to the end of the file (i.e., after the new userid's entry), retaining UID and GID of both.  Each step with a reboot.

You can delete all the files out of the users directory, they will get created next login.

Nothing's changed.  Does gdm have a config somewhere that controls this?  Nothing I can see in /etc/gdm  or /var/lib/gdm.

Not that I know of.

What  tells the system to run 'gnome-initial-setup'? (As noted, deleting the (new) userid it creates causes it to run again as soon as you log off, intercepting the gdm login screen and forcing creation of a user.)

If Gnome thinks there is no existing user, it will run that. So it's very strange that the old user appears to be invisible for some reason.