On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 2:11 PM Beartooth <bearto...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2019 16:16:23 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 May 2019 17:26:03 -0000 (UTC)
> > Beartooth <bearto...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>         I've been mousing around like mad, and I still find an odd thing
> that I've always found before. OSM seems to be all about compiling data,
> rather than making actual maps, let alone using them. Also, btw,  I still
> see no trace of anything like topographic data.

OSM doesn't do topographic data

>         That's a fine thing to do, and those who do it have a right to
> enthuse intensely; they're making discoveries and solving problems.
>
>         However, what I'm really trying to do is make certain personal
> maps, to scale, marked with things I choose, whose spatial interrelations
> I want to study. For me, that study and what I can learn from it are the
> whole point.

Maybe you would be interested in QGIS. Open Source and cross platform.  You
can bring in data for OSM and other sources, create maps, and analyze data
all with QGIS. I use
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/dani/qgis/ repository
which has the latest version. you will need python3 and GDAL. There is a
bit of a learning curve with any geospatial system, but QGIS has responsive
mailing list and there are user groups around the world.

Best,
Clifford
@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us