On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:17 PM Ed Greshko <ed.gres...@greshko.com> wrote:

> On 5/27/19 12:17 PM, Jack Craig wrote:
> > i thought what i read was after nm brings up the vpn, only then is the
> default route to
> > vpn created. more, its torn down first on shutdown.
> >
> > i'm thinking along this line, ...
> >

> https://www.debuntu.org/how-to-network-manager-openvpn-overwrites-default-route/
> >

> I've never used that configuration setting.
>
> Could you show your routes before vpn and after vpn activation?

the table didnt change. dorking with it did blow my default route out, so i
will resume in the am after rest

> I find it odd that you don't show routes similar to a default route such
> as...

me too!

> default via 25.0.8.1 dev tun0 proto static metric 50
>
> and a specific route to the VPN server like
>
> 173.199.122.227 via 192.168.1.1 dev enp2s0 proto static metric 100

i expect what should happen is that after each interface comes up via NM a
default route is set to it
so eth0 up, default route to , say, 10.0.0./24, then vpn comes and default
route is now pointed at the vpn.

and this process in reverse on shutdown...

> Are you connecting to a commercial openvpn service?  Or, are you setting
> up your own
> openvpn server?

afaik, openvpn is an open source pkg that i  built from src code to my goal
of anonymous functioning server.

the consumer version found here, ...

https://openvpn.net/