Angelo,
I agree with Tom's analysis, but my udev script accounts for it by
mounting your drive with a very specific designator.

Here is how I have tested this sort of thing before:

0. Get the UUID of your drive with blkid
1. Write a udev script to detect your drive by UUID when attached, and
to execute a test shell script (such as /usr/local/bin/angelo-test.sh)
when the drive is attached
2. Create the script /usr/local/bin/angelo-test.sh to do something
very simle, like echo `date` >> /tmp/backup.log, and make it
executable
3. Reboot
4. Attach your drive, and then look for the execution of your test
script. If there was a /tmp/backup.log created with the correct date
and time in it.
5. Look in /media to ensure that your drive has been mounted as a
unique and persistent entitiy.

If it worked, then change the script to your real backup script.
Continue to test.

If it failed, review your udev script, use `udevadm monitor` to
discover why your drive isn't triggering your script.