On 9/22/19 11:33 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
Digging through my history (which I did not think I still had):

# dd status=progress bs=4096 if=/dev/sdb | gzip -v > DeadStick.FC30_$(date +%Y-%m-%d).dd.gz

This is a 64 GB stick.  It compressed down to 4 GB,
which made senses most of the stick is zeros

# gunzip --to-stdout DeadStick.FC30_2019-09-06.dd.gz | dd status=progress bs=4096 of=/dev/sdb

If those are the exact commands you used then the one you wrote to should be identical. What is the problem? If the stick you write to is not the exact same one as the one you read from, the size might not be exactly the same which could cause a problem. You would need to compare the output from dd in both cases.