On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 23:59:54 +0100
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-10-01 at 17:41 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Ethernet over the ac power line? I've seen those advertised, know
> > nothing about their suitability for this application however.
>
> Powerline Ethernet (usually called Homeplug -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug) is my standard answer for
> people who want to extend their home network. Very easy to install and
> much cheaper than the alternatives (not counting wireless "extenders"
> which are basically a kludge). The downside is that unlike mesh
> systems they don't tend to merge everything into one network, relying
> on your WiFi device to hop from one to another.

Does this work across the polyphase wiring [1] in the house? I'm
guessing not?

Various parts of my house are receiving power from the three different
phases (as provided by the power company), and various power lines in my
household are therefore mutually physically disconnected. Is there a
Homeplug device that would retransmit the ethernet signal from one
phase line to another? Or is the ethernet signal somehow being
transmitted over the single "zero" wire (and how would that even work)?
If neither, that is a serious disadvantage compared to a mesh wifi
network...

Best, :-)
Marko

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphase_system