On Mon, 2019-12-02 at 13:29 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> MAC randomization is now the rule for all interfaces which gives DHCP
> and other technologies challenges.  In this case, IEEE 802.11 was
> actively involved in this privacy enhancement.
>
> As with any such advancement, it has its pros and cons.

All I see in that is a badly mismanaged logistical nightmare.  In my
opinion it should only be done as a deliberate choice.  Within a LAN,
firewall rules will be built on IP and/or MAC, if you want to give
someone some trust above (what should be) the default untrusted level,
you need something consistent to identify the device.

We have part of the networking/firewalling configuration where you can
declare a connection is home, public, untrusted, etc.  Randomising
could be a choice in there, or a suitable preselection with some of the
choices (i.e. preselecting no randomising on a trusted home LAN,
preselecting to have randomising on a new or public connection).

I'd hate to be trying to do something somewhere with bad network, and
everytime you lost connection your MAC and IP change.

I'm really not sure what benefit you get from MAC randomising, anyway.
It's only supposed to stay within your local network, who can already
datalyse you in a myriad of ways.  Likewise, there's a plethora of things that
datalyse you on the web, your browser is probably the worst software you can
use.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.4.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 13 23:58:53 UTC 2019 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.