On 2020-01-21 10:04, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 21/1/20 12:52, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Which also leads to the questions....
>>>
>>> Your VMware host is running F31/GNOME/Wayland?  If so, if you run
>>> GNOME/Xorg on the host
>>> are the guests still showing the same issues?
>>>
>>> And the user account in the guest, it is vanilla?  Meaning no changes from
>>> the time of creation.  No
>>> gnome-shell extensions or configuration changes?
>> Sorry for the slow response, we are getting a kitchen renovation done and
>> the internet is only intermittently available at the moment.
>> Vmware player is free. I haven't asked on the vmware forum yet, I just
>> figured that if it was fine in F30 it would be fine in F31.
>> The host I'm running Vmware player in is Windows 10. The guest in the VM is
>> F31 upgraded from F30 which in turn was upgraded from F29.
>> The user account in the guest I am using does have Gnome-shell extensions
>> installed, but they were installed before the upgrade to F31. The only issue
>> I had with the extensions was with Dash-to-dock, which I had to upgrade to
>> V67 and V66 doesn't work in F31, but even though it was upgraded I had to
>> remove the extension settings from my home folder before Gnome-tweaks would
>> recognise that the version of Dash-to-dock that was actually installed was
>> V67 and not V66 (Gnome-tweaks was continually saying it could load the
>> extension, and when I went into the settings interface the settings were
>> saying it was V66 even though V67 was actually installed and V66 had been
>> manually removed first).
>> To test whether it was an issue with my account, I created a user account
>> for my wife and tried that. This account was a vanilla account with no
>> extensions and no Gnome settings configuration at all. When I booted this
>> account into Gnome with Wayland the issue occurred. With both accounts the
>> issue does not occur if I boot into Gnome with Xorg, and it also doesn't
>> occur if I boot both accounts into KDE.
>> Also to test whether there was an issue with the existing vm, I created a
>> new vm with F29 which was then upgraded to F31. The account defined in this
>> vm was a vanilla account with no changes at all, and this account
>> encountered the issue when booting into Gnome in Wayland. This install also
>> provided entries in the dm for Gnome in Xorg and Gnome Classic, and boot
>> into both of those did not show the issue.
>> I haven't tried downloading an F31 live dvd to install into a vm as yet as I
>> haven't had the internet access and I probably still won't have it for
>> another week.
> Sorry, one thing I forgot to mention is this issue seems to only occur when
> applications are run full screen (maximised). The screen resolution I am
> running is 3840x2075 due to vm limitations. The actual screen resolution is
> 3840x2160.

Well, I don't think I'm going to be of much help.  I don't have a bare-metal
Win10 system from which to test.

But, it does sound more like a VMPlayer video driver issue more than anything
else.

I've not used VMWare products for several years now.  VirtualBox and qemu
virtualization are
sufficient for my needs.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.