On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 6:05 AM Bob Goodwin <bobgood...@fastmail.us> wrote:

> I've been reading the thread about detecting hack attempts and I am
> interested in in setting up "key based authentication" as described
> [perhaps] in
> "
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-ssh-configuration-keypairs.html
> "
>
> In doing this is their danger of making an error and locking myself out
> of my computer, if so what to avoid? I've made some catastrophic errors
> in the not very distant past that required a new system re-installation
> and would prefer not repeating that.
>
> Suggestions, thoughts?

Besides the other suggestions, for the more "mechanical" part of the
process I highly recommend ssh-copy-id.

It will check that you have correct permissions in ~/.ssh before copying
the public key over to the remote system. If course you'll need to leave
password auth turned on until you complete this.

Thanks,
Richard