I had set my wife an account on one of my computers recently, a
Thinkpad E-series using MATE User Manager under F31. I suppose I may have
failed to set her password, though I doubt that intensely.

         This is a machine that never leaves my desk, despite being a
laptop.

         I typed in her usual password for logging in; I got this:

su - tslg
You are required to change your password immediately
(administrator  enforced)
New password:
BAD PASSWORD: The password fails the dictionary check - it is based on a
dictionary word
su: Authentication token manipulation error

        Just for the record, it consists of first letters of a line of
poetry, and does not resemble any word in any of the several languages I
know. (The app is probably just complaining of the length.) Nor had I
enforced any such requirement, nor would I.

        useradd -h as root got me nothing that seemed to enable even root
to edit a user's data. (I tried -p and -u.) Can I do it??
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is

        I don't mind an OS warning me of hazards I can judge better than
it can; but  I do take it amiss to be forbidden something trivial.