On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 19:33, Christopher Marlow <fed...@cwm030.com> wrote:

> I am just curious why people stay on old versions of Fedora like say
> FC30 instead of upgrading to 31? I am guessing after a new version of
> FC comes out, that the previous version is still supported for a
> limited time?

There are always 2 supported versions.   Linux is a community effort, so
everyone benefits from the work of people who test new releases and report
any problems.  There is always a period of pre-release testing that helps
minimize the problems in new releases.

If you are using Fedora N for some big project when N+1 is released, you
want to put off updating until you reach a good stopping point.  If you are
using Fedora as your primary desktop environment and it is working well,
then other things may be more important to you than upgrading.   There are
ways to "check out" a new version (Live boot or VM) to see if upgrading is
worthwhile.   Live boot may reveal hardware issues (such as missing drivers
for older kit) that you want to address before upgrading.

There are people whose primary interest is development, documentation,
and/or workflows based on a particular application.   It is important to be
looking ahead to see where newer versions of key libraries and other
software may require changes to the application and related workflows.
Historically, applications often needed to provide capabilities that were
not available in older linux distros.   Over time, these capabilities are
appearing in distros, which means applications can be simplified or can
focus on other improvements.   Fedora releases are well suited to this sort
of work.

--
George N. White III