On 3/18/20 1:00 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 11:09:23 -0400
Robert McBroom via users wrote:

/etc/grub2.cfg
That's usually a link to the "real" file, and some
editors don't do well with links. Might want to check
the actual file down under /boot somewhere (location
varies for old dos versus uefi installs).

I use emacs which has yet to have any problem with links. Also looked at /boot/grub2/grub.cfg as well.

This is a legacy system but the recent changes in grub2 for "Boot Loader Specification" have added many quirks. I had missed that the grub menu entries come from the *.conf files in /boot/loader/entries.

I'm not even using uefi, yet for some reason I have
both these links:

/etc/grub2.cfg -> ../boot/grub2/grub.cfg
/etc/grub2-efi.cfg -> ../boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
True, the empty dummy entries are put in place holders in /boot and /boot/grub2 even though they are not used.
There are also references to things like "hd0,msdos2"
in grub.cfg which may need fixing as well. Possibly
there is a device.map file that needs fixing as well?
Tracked the entries for a DOS partitioned disk remembering that the disk count starts from 0 and the partition count starts from1, Simple since there is only one 1T disk.  Likewise for device.map the entry is (hd0) /dev/sda
I do this all the time to install a new fedora where I want
it by installing in a virtual machine then using guestmount
and rsync to put it on a "real" disk and boot it from
a stand alone grub partition using the "configfile" option.
Haven't tackled "virtual machine", what is your host?
I've never seen a uuid make it's way into an initramfs
file before, but if you can get booted by hook or
by crook, "dracut -f" forces a rebuild.

The message from dracut about initramfs was a red herring.

Fixing the *.conf entries in /boot/loader/entries gets the UUID problem solved and I get to the login screen but my logins are not accepted. Copied the original to usb disk from the source with a Knoppix live disk so there was nothing being executed by the file system. Then from the usb disk to a the partition on the target system again with Knoppix. The /boot was on a separate partition on the source and to a separate partition on the target system.

What is the login process looking for that is missing?