On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:23 AM stan via users <
users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 20:57:48 -0500
> Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well I figured out PART of it... I'm not sure when it changed but the
> > individual boot load entries are no longer generated and inserted into
> > grub.cfg during grub2-mkconfig, but are individual files now in
> > /boot/loader/entries.
>
> I think this was introduced in F30, and it became the default in F31.
> Called snippets.  It is no longer necessary to update the grub.cfg file
> with snippets enabled, though it is OK to do so.

Yup, found the change URL. I'm sure I read it when it was originally
published, but failed to "grok" it's impact.

> > And even though I only have 3 kernels installed (all 5.5.x series)
> > there were left over files (vmlinuz, System.map, initramfs, & config)
> > for older kernels so something wasn't cleaning them up correctly on
> > update.
>
> Assuming you are using efi, and if you go into /boot/efi/EFI/fedora
> and run the command
> grub2-mkconfig -o grub.cfg
> that should fix your issue with kernels in the menu.

Well, not exactly... This one is non-EFI. I actually converted my desktop
to EFI and it was VERY painful and took me months to track down weird bugs
because it wasn't 100% migrated. I'm glad I did it one (got the T-shirt)
but I have no intention of ever doing that again :)

>   Not sure what is
> causing the lack of cleanup, as everything updates correctly here on
> F31.  Maybe check /etc/default/grub to ensure options are set the way
> you want?  Perhaps you caught the migration from the old grub2
> technique to the snippets technique, and there was cruft left over.
> Did you save more kernels in the past, /etc/dnf/dnf.conf?

I updated  grub2/grub.cfg but I did it to a temporary file first and
diff'ed the differences not finding anything significant. I deleted the
extraneous entries in /boot/loader/entries and installed a new kernel in
testing (5.5.15) and everything appears OK.

Must have been a migration issue. Not that should make a different but I am
booting BIOS with a GPT partition using a 2M "bios_boot" partition.

Thanks,
Richard