I've been using mate as my DM on Fedora for years.
For about the same number of I've been unable to
login to a gnome session.  I've go no need except
curiosity.  But everytime I select gnome (Xorg,
classic, Wayland, ...) the screen blanks and I
get a full screen literally saying "Opps,
something went wrong".

I can create a new user and login to a gnome
session, so the software is there and functional.
I'm assuming it is something in my configuration
files.  But I've been unable to delete the correct
combination of .dirs and files.

The situation has persisted from about F23 or F24
through F31.  Across 2 new computers where I copied
my home directory to the new systems.

What must I delete to make my user look like a first
time gnome user?

Thanks, stay well,
Jon
--